Just twenty rows of low-yielding Shiraz vines were selected for this vintage of the Dairy Block, which grow next to the cellar door and enjoy the afternoon sun until late in the day. Whole bunches were hand-picked and gently pressed in order to retain vibrancy of flavour. After fermentation, the wine was aged for 18 months in 30% new and 70% old French oak barrels. This is a medium-bodied cool climate Shiraz with concentrated spice, red and black berries, cedar oak and soft tannins.
- Gold Medal: Adelaide Hills Wine Show 2016
- 92 Points: Royal Melbourne Wine Show, 2016
- 4 1/2 Stars Winestate Magazine, 2015 Vintage
- 95 Points: James Halliday, Australian Wine Companion 2016
- Silver medal: Royal Melbourne Wine Show 2015
- Gold: Boutique Wine Awards 2015
- Silver: Sydney Royal Wine Show 2015
- Silver: Adelaide Hills Wine Show 2014
- 93 points: Mike Bennie, The Gourmet Traveller Wine Magazine
- Silver: Royal Melbourne Wine Show 2013
- 93 points: Campbell Mattinson, The Wine Front
- 93 points/4 Stars: Huon Hooke
- 4 1/2 Stars: Winestate
MEADOWS VINEYARDGREENHILLS RD, ADELAIDE HILLS, SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Established in 1996, my Karrawatta vineyard in Meadows is one of the highest altitude premium sites in the Adelaide Hills Wine Region. The yields and vine growth are in natural balance and vines produce consistent low quantities of super premium fruit, with delicate flavours that represent the terroir of the site.
The soil is uniform across the vineyard where the top soil consists of a shallow shaley loam overlying a free draining loamy clay with fragments of shale and ironstone. The altitude of the site ranges from 450-490m where each variety has been planted to suit the sites topography to ensure super premium wine production. The Sauvignon Blanc is grown on south facing cooler slopes and Shiraz grown on the north facing warmer, less vigorous slopes. The Pinot Gris is planted at the highest point with row orientation east/west to ensure none of the fruit is exposed to the afternoon sun.